HandsUP! ASL Word Wall
The HandsUP! ASL Word Wall is a vocabulary building tool that supports sign and print word learning in a bilingual context: American Sign Language (ASL) and English. This unique interactive visual dictionary application includes over 700 preloaded picture/printed words that are categorized and displayed by the ASL phonological parameter of handshape (not alphabetically in English). This format allows signers to use handshape to search for a sign that they know in ASL and are learning to read and spell in English.
- Provides an accessible visual reference system to develop a growing core of words that become part of a signing, reading and writing vocabulary.
- Facilitates sign/print analysis skills to anchor vocabulary in long-term memory.
- Encourages student independence as they work with words in reading and writing.
- Relationships between signs and printed words become more explicit when students actively create a personal collection of key vocabulary and subject-specific vocabulary items.
- Personalize the ASL Word Wall by adding new vocabulary words using built-in drawing tools, your device’s photo library/gallery, or using your device’s camera.
- Increases the engagement and motivation that students have in mastering vocabulary
- The Word Wall is flexible and can be used effectively across grade levels and subjects areas.
- Create multiple word walls to organize different subject area vocabulary (e.g., Science, Math).
- Play the Drag N’ Drop game for sign or print vocabulary practice.
Handshape (HS) Classification System Includes the 43 most common handshapes in ASL. Words are categorized and displayed by Handshape for easy reference.
Preloaded dictionary of over 700 words and images.
Add a word feature using built-in drawing tools, your device’s photo library/gallery, or your device’s camera.
Create multiple word walls (e.g. Writing, Science, Math, Art).
- Includes a Word Wall Drag N’ Drop game for targeted sign and/or print vocabulary practice with 2 game play options: Picture mode reinforcing Sign vocabulary learning and Text mode reinforcing Print vocabulary learning. Choose the HS’s to target